Wednesday 5 December 2007

Two weeks to go...

...and I can't believe it. India has been just fascinating - a land of such incredible contrasts. Each morning I don't know if, by the evening, I'm going to end up loving or hating India (usually a bit of both). I think it's this that makes it such a fascinating place.

Had a typically Indian experience at the restaurant last night...

ME: "Can I have some gulab jamon (an Indian sweet) and vanilla ice cream please?"
WAITER: [Big smile] "Sorry sir, is no possible."
ME: "It's not possible to have gulab jamon and vanilla ice cream?"
WAITER: "No sir."
ME: "Do you have gulab jamon?"
WAITER: "Yes."
ME: "Do you have vanilla ice cream?"
WAITER: "Yes.'
ME: "Then I'd like some gulab jamon and some vanilla ice cream."
WAITER: [Big smile] "Sorry sir, is no possible."
ME: "Ok, just vanilla ice cream then."
WAITER: "Yes sir, anything else?"

No comments: