Tuesday 4 December 2007

Jaisalmer & the Thar Desert

At the advice of the experienced we chose a short camel safari; two days and one night. This involved an hours jeep ride out into the desert, a day trekking on the camel, a night under the stars and then a second day trekking. Despite a camel being the most incredibly uncomfortable thing I've ever sat on and the night getting pretty chilly by the small hours, we really, really enjoyed it. The first day we were in a group of 9, and it was good to have other people to sit round the camp fire with, drinking beer cooled in the "desert fridge" (wrapped in a wet cloth and placed in the cold evening breeze). Second day was just the two of us and the camel driver, Raju, and was equally enjoyable. The camel drivers were great bunch of guys and really made the experience. They knock up some tasty food armed with little more than a few pans, a bag of veg and a box of matches. Despite none of them having spent even a single day at school, they spoke better English than most of Indians we have met (all learned at "Camel College").

We stayed our final night in Jaisalmer in a hotel inside the fort as it turns out the sinking fort issue is a little more complicated and political than we first realised and we felt the need to support the local fort businesses. The local government is being given thousands to repair the fort by international charities but local business owners claim little or none of it is being used for its intended purpose. Now, the government (with the Lonely Planet onside) has all but destroyed the businesses in the fort by urging tourists to boycott them. Whilst it's impossible to know the truth, we decided to give the fort business owners the benefit of the doubt for one night at least. For Emma's birthday we ate in one of the nicest restaurants we have seen in India called Little Italy. We are now back in Jaipur having just arrived by night train.




11 comments:

alcatraz said...

Hi ! Well, I was searching for Thar Desert - information regarding any permits required to camp there ! Me and a few friends have decided to camp there, I was wondering if the idea is practically feasible ? Are there any government control officials there ? Is it a highly protected area ? I know I sound pretty amateurish, but we all want to do it. Any sort of help will be appreciated.
Thanks ,
a fellow traveler :-)

alcatraz said...

And nice account and pics too. Cheers !

Dan & Emma said...

Hi there,

I realise I'm posting this on my own blog, but I couldn't find any other way to contact you!

Whilst there is a strong military presence in and around Jaisalmer, I seriously doubt a permit is required (I may be totally wrong though). Some of the camel trekking companies don't seem to be the most professional of set-ups (if you see what i mean?). If you want to go on a camel safari with guides to cook and, obviously, guide you, you can certainly organise longer, taylor-made treks for just you and your friends and I would assumne the price goes down the longer you go out for (we went with Ganesh Travels, who are in the LP).

I don't see why you can't pay someone to drive you out to some nice dunes in a jeep and camp under your own steam though. In fact, it sounds like a really good idea to me. Might want to check in with the tourist police in Jaisalmer though. Sorry I can't help more. Good luck.

Dan.

alcatraz said...

Hey, thanks a lot. I am saving all the information I get ! Thanks again. Take care.

alcatraz said...

By the way, you have got a really nice blog.
I stay in New Delhi, so if you plan to come , I'll be more than happy to help you out. :-)

alcatraz said...

Do you have any contact information/phone number of Ganesh Travels ?

(sorry ! :p )

Dan & Emma said...

Thanks for your kind comments - glad you like the blog.

Ganesh Travels is located just inside the fort (there's a sign) and is run by a very friendly man called Sebastian (his brother own's a nice guesthouse nearby too!). Email: ganeshtravel45@hotmail.com, Tel. 02992-250138.

If you have a tip for a good budget guesthouse in Delhi that would be great? Thanks.

alcatraz said...

Thanks !

I think it would be best if you arrange for accommodation through Delhi Tourism. The folks at Delhi Tourism will guide you best. There are however a few hotels I know of which I have heard are the best ones here (I hardly need to get out of my house and explore hotels in my own city. lol )- Hotel Ashoka, Hotel Hyatt, Hotel Taj Palace (all of these are pretty expensive 5-Star hotels with excellent facilities, which you might not need )...as for the cheaper ones, I don't have enough information, but again I'd advice you to contact Delhi Tourism. Otherwise you could be misled. Contact information for Delhi Tourism : Phone number : 0113315322 , 0113314229 or check out their website : www.delhitourism.nic.in
You could always contact me in case you need help. Cheers!

Mystery girl said...

I am travelling to Thar and staying at rajasthan desert safari camp...

I wanted to go for a overnight camel safari trek. any idea whether they organize it ??

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Dear,Friend
Mount Abu is situated in southwest end of Rajasthan. Mount Abu is the only hill station in Rajasthan, Mount

Abu is more than just a summer retreat. Its stunning array of exquisite Dilwara Jain Temples, dating back

11th- 13th centuries, make it a popular pilgrimage centre.
The history of Mount Abu is as diverse as the city itself. It was once a part of the Chauhan kingdom of

Rajasthan and served as a summer resort for the Rajput kings of the region.
Please Visit For More Detail
http://desidirectory.com/india-travel-guide/